Continuing our regular feature that puts a BIMA member under the spotlight for each monthly newsletter, this time we’re talking to Spencer Gallagher.
Spencer is Founder and Managing Director of Bluhalo – a leading bespoke website design and build agency that is part of the Gyro Network.
1. What’s the best campaign that you’ve worked on in terms of your own enjoyment?
AVG Anti-Virus, that we recently built a range of social engagement tools for. It was a real old school digital approach to solving a client’s marketing challenges.
2. What was your first job?
I had a holiday job running a Kebab Shop, but my first proper job was selling jeans for a high street retailer.
3. What book are you currently reading?
I’m in digital, I don’t read books?! However, last holiday by the pool (with no internet connection) I read “Getting Real” by 37 signals, “Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell, and the “Victorian Internet” by Tom Standage.
4. What is your favourite website?
5. If I turned on your iPod, which song would start playing?
Silverchair – Israel’s Son
6. Which brand do you most admire in the interactive space?
Amazon, regardless of what people think about the ecommerce site, I still love Alexa, and AWS rocks!
7. Who would you most like to sit next to on a plane journey?
The person flying it? Failing that, Tim Berners-Lee (I love to chat about all things Semantic Web)
8. Who has been your most inspiring person to work with?
I was involved in a workshop recently to advise a client on future internet strategies with Michael and Xochi Birch. Although it was only for a couple of hours, I thought their insight and approach was technically brilliant.
9. If you could change the industry in one way, what would it be?
Encourage more females on the technical side (such as programming)
10. Where is your favourite place to have breakfast?
The Wolseley, Piccadilly